NETGEAR AC1750 Smart Wi-Fi Router

This is the first NetGear router that I have had in years as I had some bad experience in the past, but so far I very pleased with how well this performs.

Setting it up was very simple as the interface is quite user friendly and designed to make it easy to get it up and running as they even have predefined SSID's and passwords set up for both bands if you want to use them.

I just changed them to be what I had on my previous router so that I wouldn't have to change any devices connecting to the new network.

The Genie app is straightforward and provides more than enough options for most home networks, though advanced users may want more.

It automatically checked if there was a firmware update available, but asked if you wanted to download and install it which I did without incident.

The signal strength is excellent throughout my 2 story home on both bands and extends out into the yard.

This router has many of the features of the Nighthawk series but with a little slower processor and only 450mbps on the 2.4 band.

On a wired connection I am getting 60 - 62mbps and in an upstairs bedroom I am getting 60+ on the 5GHz band.

I also have a SB6183 16 channel cable modem that allows for channel bonding and together I am getting a bit more than I am paying for as my service is only 50/10 (Cox).

My previous router and modem combination were only giving me 18 - 21mbps so upgrading both the modem and router has tripled my throughput.

There have been no drops, hangs, or reboots so far and the router runs warm but not hot, though I have put it on a USB laptop cooler and it stays cool to the touch now which should help to extend its life.

I downloaded the ReadyShare app but haven't got around to hooking up a drive to the USB 3.0 port which is inconveniently located in the front of the router instead of the rear where the USB 2.0 port is located.

One thing to consider is that the router is a bit large at 7.5 x 7.75 x 2.5 and shaped in a horizontal wedge however there is some extra space inside this which will help air circulation.

Many routers are designed where the case is barely large enough to fit the components and this may contribute to them running hot.

I bought this router and am not participating in their test program and really like the ease of setup, performance, and overall build quality and feel that NetGear got it right with this router and am looking forward to many years of good service and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice combination of good power and features along with ease of use.